AC Freon refrigerant leaks are among the common issues that homeowners face. Your air conditioner’s essential components depend on Freon for their operation, so when it begins to leak, issues with your unit are inevitable. An AC Freon leak may sound like a severe problem, but these leaks can be fixed if they are caught early.
If you have noticed signs of leaks in your AC, contact a professional HVAC contractor from Honest Air. As dependable HVAC specialists, we provide fast and reliable HVAC installation and repair services to households located in Mount Airy, MD, and its surrounding areas. With years of expertise in HVAC, our professionals have the capability to effortlessly resolve any troubles with your AC unit. One such issue includes Freon leakage.
What causes a Freon leak?
Air conditioners are generally designed to be pretty tough and sturdy. However, like all other mechanical systems, your AC has a few weak points that create issues with time. One potential point of failure in your AC is the rubber seals surrounding the valves. These seals can gradually degrade over time to allow Freon to leak. Other common causes of Freon leaks include:
- Corrosion: Exposure to moisture, chemicals, and other contaminants can cause the metal components in your AC system to corrode or develop tiny cracks. These cracks can allow the Freon refrigerant to escape.
- Poor installation: Improper installation of the AC system, including faulty connections or inadequate sealing of joints and fittings, can lead to refrigerant leaks. This is why only licensed and insured professionals should install your AC system.
- Physical damage: Accidental physical damage to the AC unit, such as from impact or punctures, can cause refrigerant leaks. Accidents can occur during extreme weather events or improper handling during repair and maintenance.
Common signs of Freon leaks in your home
- Poor cooling: If your AC suddenly can’t keep up during the hottest hours of the day, a Freon leak is likely one of the culprits.
- Humid indoor air: AC systems are designed to dehumidify by removing warm air from your indoor spaces. When there is an AC Freon leak, the system’s dehumidifying ability is compromised, leading to inefficiencies.
- Extended cooling cycles: If your AC has started lagging behind your thermostat setting, it is likely the system is experiencing refrigerant leaks. Call a licensed technician to check out the unit.
- High electric bills: Inefficient AC units result in higher electric bills. Whenever refrigerant leaks, your AC works harder than it should, increasing electricity bills.
How Freon leaks are fixed
Handling Freon and other refrigerants can be tricky and dangerous. Sniffing Freon can lead to multiple health complications, including lung damage, brain damage, and even death. This is why AC refrigerant issues are best left to the experts. Once the leak is detected, an HVAC professional from Honest Air will isolate the system to prevent further leakage. This can involve shutting off valves or closing access points to contain the refrigerant. The technician will choose an appropriate repair method based on the type or severity of issue. Some of the common techniques to fix Freon leaks include:
- Patching: Our experts can use a patch kit or solder the leak if it is small and located on a coil or pipe.
- Welding/brazing: If the leak is substantial or in parts such as coils or fittings, the technician will proceed to weld or braze the affected area.
- Replacement of components: Where necessary, we may choose to replace the entire leaking component. In most cases, we recommend replacing faulty coils or compressors.
- After the repair or replacement: We will test the system to ensure the leak is fixed, and the refrigerant levels are adequate.
Why choose a licensed HVAC professional from Honest Air?
Your AC Freon refrigerant is constantly under high pressure, leading to component degradation over time. If your components have started to leak, you need to repair Freon leaks as soon as possible. For AC Freon leaks and other air conditioning issues, you should always hire licensed technicians from a reputable HVAC company. The knowledgeable and experienced technicians from Honest Air are ready to help you. Whether you require routine maintenance checks or emergency repairs on your AC unit, we are available to offer same-day solutions. Contact us today to request a free estimate.